Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Way Back Wednesday ~~ 1971

Today we venture back to my 6th birthday party.
My parents owned what was originally an old motel on Ventura Blvd in Studio City.
They fixed it up to look like an old western town and called in Knaggs Berry Town.
(Their last name was Knaggs, it was on Berry drive and it was supposed to be a town).
Across the street from it was a gay bar called Oil Can Harry's.
My parents became very good friends with Bert the owner.

He was a wonderful man and when my parents were looking for a place to have my 6th birthday he offered the use of his main dance floor. The whole place was only open after 8 at night.

My parents, ever mindful of saving money thought it was a wonderful idea so out went the party invitations inviting a bunch of kindergardeners to a fun filled afternoon at the local (gay) watering hole. Apparently not many people were bothered by it because most of my classmates showed up.

The first picture is me on the pool table. It looks like Ive been having a good time already because my stockings were filthy!



The next 2 pictures are of the piƱata portion of the program.
The first one is me having a go at the parrot.
And there's my dad with his usual cigarette.
You can also see ALL the way on the right the Pin the Tail on the Donkey poster.
I think I cheated when I played so I could win.
I'm glad I developed a sense of ethics as I got older because I don't think I had any at this age.


This next picture shows my mom placing the blindfold on a little boy whose name I do not remember.
I do remember that he had a lot of really cool red hair and freckles.
You can't see me in this picture but I CAN see Sally who is still my best friend to this day.
As crazy as it sounds, I still have that skirt that my mom is wearing.
 (I think it's the same one that she is wearing in my first WayBackWed post?)
Don't you just dig that retro yellow daisy wallpaper in the background?
And those pink and blue doors were the bathrooms.


I have a whole tray of slides from this day and I think I may break them out soon and show them to my kids.
They may need some color fixing if I go to develop them but showing them on a big screen in the living room sounds like a lot of fun. 
Now if I just find a slide projector that actually works!