Saturday, October 9, 2010

Saturday Mornings from Long Ago

When I was a kid, all the way back in early 1970s, most of the cartoon watching was relegated to Saturday morning. It was a pretty big deal to make sure you got up on time so you wouldn't miss whatever show you looked forward to all week. And they had seasons back then for cartoons just like they do now for adult shows. September with it's premieres and new episodes of old favorites was looked forward to as much as Christmas.

My Saturday mornings always consisted of being up at the crack of dawn (who could sleep on a non school day when there was so much to do?) and getting myself a bowl of some sugary cereal (maybe Super Sugar Crisp or Sugar Frosted Flakes). Back then they were honest about the main ingredient in what your kid was consuming.  Today they try to make it seem like you are doing your kid a service by pouring them Trix or Cinnamon Toast Crunch because after all, they are made with WHOLE GRAINS!

But I digress....

Anyway, once I was set up with my sugar fix, I would plop down in front of the TV and settle in for the next 3 hours knowing I would not be disappointed.

I had my personal favorites. The first was the original Scooby Doo.  But it had to be the original show...NOT the one with Scrappy -Doo.. he completely wrecked the entire experience. I stopped watching the show when they added him





And then there were The Groovy Ghoulies (oh this show was FUN)


Josie and the Pussycats (I think this show must have fueled my love for Charlie's Angels later in the 70's, with the 3 "leading ladies" who were always solving mysteries)


And who could forget Land of the Lost ? I watched each week with fevered anticipation, hoping beyond hope that they would actually find a way home.... To this day I can't remember how the show actually ended.. did Will and Holly ever get home? Did the sleestaks get them? Did the realistic looking dinosaurs get them? What happened to Cha-ka? So many unanswered questions!


But I definately think that Saturday mornings would not have been the same if not for the classic Bugs Bunny Cartoons that always played on CBS about 9AM. The GOOD ones..... those made mostly in the 1950's. Not the earlier ones where Bugs was kind of crazy and all over the place.

I loved all of the different characters that would appear in the different episodes and I could watch them over and over again.



Once the weekly ritual was done  (around 11 AM or so) it was time to really start my day. But I could do it with a certain satisfaction that my morning had been well spent and enjoyed.

What more could a kid of that time ask for.