Friday, May 13, 2011

Forgotten Friday ~~ Rotary Dial Phones

Remember rotary dial phones?
And how long it would take when you had to redial because you got a busy signal and the number you were calling had a lot of 7, 8 and 9's in it?
Just the other day someone mentioned that there didn't used to be a Q or Z on the dial and I see that they were right.

And of course there was the updated wall phone which usually hung in the kitchen.
I want to get one these and hang it on the side of my kitchen cabinet and have the kids ask me what the heck it is.
And maybe force them to experience having to sit in one place while they were talking because the phone was tethered to the wall.


I was so excited when my dad brought home one of these.
The push button phone in my opinion was one of the greatest inventions of all time!
I wanted to call everybody I knew just so I could experience not having to wait for the dial to reset between numbers.
Remember the little clear slot under the last row of buttons where you could take a piece of paper and write your number on it and slide it in there so everyone would know where they were calling from?




And then there is this relic.



The public pay phone.
Finding one nowadays is next to impossible unless you are in a large public area like an airport or maybe a mall. And even then you have to search.
Not long ago I left the house without my cell phone (unheard of I know for me to forget something) and when I got to where I was going (a large shopping area with Target, Kohls, and a bunch of fast food and smaller shops) I realized I needed to call home.
There was not a public phone in sight and no one I asked had a clue as to where I could look. I finally discovered one near the restrooms in Kohls and it cost me 50¢.
Maybe I shouldn't have been but I was shocked not only at the cost but at the reality that these things that used to be on every street corner are now almost gone for good.

Here is sound I bet most people under 40 have never heard except on old TV shows:



It's times like these that make me wonder in 10, 20 or 30 years, what is going to be archaic and outdated. What will our grandchildren think is weird and wonder how we could ever have used something that primitive.

Times change and lately its been at an exponential rate. But in truth I am excited to see what happens. As long as it doesn't involve out of control robots bent on destroying their makers.

I've seen that on television and it wasn't pretty.