Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Way Back Wednesday ~ 1960



This is a picture of my dad appearing on The Red Rowe show which ran on CBS from 1959 to 1960.
My dad was huge collector of antiques and some of his favorites were these old Edison phonograph players from the turn of the century. 
He was invited on the show to demonstrate two of his machines which were in pristine condition.
The one on the left has a built in speaker horn under the player and the one on the right has the horn taken off on the counter next to it.
These play old Edison wax cylinder records which he had in the case in the middle.
I eventually sold these machines some years back and they each went for well over $1000. 
I still have several boxes of the wax records.
They are also highly collectible, especially the politically incorrect ones.
Did you notice the huge microphone hanging above their heads? 
It looks like a giant ray gun ready to disintegrate my dad's head.