Thursday, February 17, 2011

Isn't it someone else's turn to drive?


Alex has been sick and has stayed home from school this week. So I've been driving the partners in crime by myself.

I bring my music so they can listen to that instead of goading each other into an argument. Good in theory, not so good in practice.

I turned the music on shuffle so I can't be accused of giving someone's music choice preferential treatment.

First song up, "Soul Sister" by Train. Jeffrey starts belting out the lyrics turning towards Katherine while singing.

"MOM! Jeffrey is calling me a soul sister."

"And?"

"Isn't that rude?"

"Not the last time I checked".

She crossed her arms and stared out the window unconvinced.

Up next Mony Mony by Billy Idol.

Jeffery once again begins singing away.

"Here she comes now sayin' Mony Mony
Shoot 'em down, turn around you look like a pony"

"MOM! Jeffrey said I look like a horse."

"No I didn't. I said you look like a pony."

"MOM!"

"Jeffrey if you're going to sing please stick to the ACTUAL words of the songs instead of making up your own."

"OK".

Song #3 and we have Thriller.

"It's close to midnight and something evil's lurking in the dark (Katherine get out of there)
Under the moonlight, you see a sight that almost stops your heart (he grabs his chest and pretends to faint)
You try to scream but terror takes the sound before you make it (he grabs his throat and makes choking noises)
You start to freeze as horror looks you right between the eyes (Katherine stop looking at me)"

"MOM!!!"

"Jeffrey!"

"What? I wasn't changing the lyrics."

"Could you possibly not make every song you sing about your sister?"

"I can't help it. I have a very good imagination."

I see self esteem is not lacking in this one.

"Well then can you be a more thoughtful when using your imagination?"

"I thought I WAS using a lot of thought "

Somehow I don't think I'm going to win this one.

"Jeffrey you know what I am talking about... so KNOCK IT OFF!"

"OK.  Sorry Katherine"

Silence from behind me.

"Katherine?"

"Yes?"

"Your brother apologized.. can you please say something."

I checked the rear view mirror and saw her deciding if it would be the right time to say "Something".

 Deciding I probably wasn't in the mood for poorly timed humor she accepted his apology.

I will have a relaxing uneventful morning drive one day, but I have a feeling it won't be anytime soon.